Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Royals Take Kyle Zimmer

There you have it. As I'm sure you are aware, the Royals took Kyle Zimmer with the fifth overall pick in the 2012 draft. I'm sure you have all read up on Zimmer but just briefly I'll give you a few of the highlights. Zimmer is just 20 years old and has only been pitching for about a year and a half. I suspect this is part of the draw for Kansas City as they like the opportunity to shape pitchers.

Zimmer has upper 90s heat, with perhaps the best curveball in the draft. He has a change up that many believe could also develop into a plus pitch. In 2012, Zimmer went 5-3 with a 2.85 and a 104:17 K:BB. The Royals have roughly $6.2 million in the draft, $3.5 million of which is designated for the 5th pick of the draft.

This brings me to my next point. Thanks to Houston shocking the baseball industry with their selection of Carlos Correa, Mark Appel was available to Kansas City at 5. Appel entered the draft at as a what many thought the top college arm and clear top two selection. Instead the Royals passed on him to select Kyle Zimmer.

The Royals claim that Zimmer was always the top pitcher on their board, and if that is the truth than that is awesome. However, another benefit to selecting Zimmer over Appel in my mind is the dollars the Royals saved from their draft budget. Considering that Appel entered the draft expecting a bonus around $7 million, it isn't hard to imagine that it would be tough for him to accept half that amount. So instead of blowing their entire draft budget on one guy, the Royals will hopefully sign Zimmer around $3.5 and still have plenty of money to spend on the remainder of their picks, effectively diversifying their draft portfolio.

Think of it this way, if you had x amount to spend on dinner. Would you chose to eat a Filet Mignon, with crackers, cheese and Welch's grape juice? Or would you cut some cost on the steak, buy a KC Strip and surround it with mashed potatoes, steamed vegetables, and a bottle of Boulevard? Both steaks are undoubtedly delicious and in the second option you get the side items and beverage to properly complete the meal. Of course if you believe in the Royals scouting department, you just got the best of both worlds.

Personally, I put faith in the Royals scouting and player development. Earlier today I didn't include Kyle Zimmer in my top five draft board, but make no mistake I couldn't be happier. This is how the draft goes and I know that the individuals making the decisions are light years more knowledgeable than myself on the subject and prospects.

I'm currently located in the northwest part of the country, so here's to hoping I get the chance to see Kyle Zimmer make a start with Idaho Falls.

No comments:

Post a Comment