Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Where We Stand: May 8

Okay, so I'd first like to apologize in the scarcity of posts over the last month or so. The last few weeks have been crazy for me, but I think I should get the opportunity to get writing again. For now I'd just like to give a few bullet points of thoughts.


  • What to do with Hochevar? Holy cow he's been terrible. It wouldn't shock me at all if he made a trip to the DL and I wonder if his leg has ever fully recovered since the line drive he took off of it in the home opener. I don't mean to make excuses for Hochevar, but seriously he surely can't be this bad. Can he? 
  • So Jim Callis doesn't think Salvador Perez can be an every day catcher. I can understand where Callis is coming from I'm sure he is totally aware of the impeccable Baseball America track record. It would be completely unprecedented for Baseball America to overlook a prospect.
  • The draft is barely a month a way. I've kept my eye on mock drafts, but will readily admit that I haven't read much in the way of scouting reports regarding the draft's top prospects. It seems to be a safe bet that Kansas City will take a college arm., just as they would have liked a year ago. At the 5 pick Kevin Gausman, Mark Appel, and Kyle Zimmer. I know Lucas Giolito is a high school kid, and I know he has missed most of the season due to injury, and maybe I'm high on Dylan Bundy, but I believe the Royals should consider him at #5. He may not be ready quite as fast as the three college guys, but the guy was in discussion for the top pick prior to the injury and if the Royals view him as having the highest upside, I'd love to see them take him with the #5 selection.
  • After hanging around 5-6 games back for about a week and a half the Royals, it would appear, are finally being left behind. The Royals are 8 games behind the Cleveland Indians. However, if you recall the Indians got off to a great start last year before collapsing in the second half of the season. The number I've got my eye on is 5. The Royals are 5 games back of the Detroit Tigers. It is my belief that as long as the Royals can hang within 6 or 7 games of Detroit there's a faint glimmer of hope for the 2012 season.
I'll try to get some posts up with more frequency in the coming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment